click the "+1" button to recommend this to the google search engine...and share with other friends who are taking the class (facebook shares are also welcome)
1. Calculate the magnitude of the linear momentum for the following cases.
a) a proton with mass 1.67 X 10-27 kg, moving with a speed of 5.45 X 106 m/s
__________kg * m/s
b) a 12.5 g bullet moving with a speed of 350 m/s
_________kg * m/s
c) a 71.5 kg sprinter running with a speed of 11.5 m/s
d) the Earth (mass = 5.98 X 1024 kg) moving with an orbital speed equal to 2.98 X 104 m/s
_________kg * m/s
2. A pitcher claims he can throw a 0.159-kg baseball with as much momentum as a 2.10-g bullet moving with a speed of 1.50 X 103 m/s
a). What mus the baseball's speed be if the pitcher's claim is valid?
b). Which has greater kinetic energy, the ball the or the bullet?
The bullet has greater kinetic energy
The ball has greater kinetic energy
Both have the same kinetic energy
3. An object has a kinetic energy of 232 J and a momentum of magnitude 21.6 kg * m/s.
a). Find the speed of the object
b) Find the mass of the ojbect
4. A 0.252 kg volleyball approaches a player horizontally with a speed of 12.9 m/s. The player strikes the ball with her fist and causes the ball to move in the opposite direction with a speed of 22.0 m/s
a). What impulse is delivered to the ball by the player?
___________kg * m/s
b). If the player's fist is in contact with the ball for 0.0600 s, find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the player's fist.
5. A ball of mass 0.120 kg is dropped from rest from a height of 1.25 m. It rebounds from the floor to reach a height of 0.600 m. What impulse was given to the ball by the floor?
magnitude _____ kg * m/s
6. A tennis player receives a shot with a ball (0.0600 kg) traveling horizontally at 54.0 m/s and returns the shot with the ball traveling horizontally at 32.0 m/s in the opposite direction.
a). What is the impulse delivered to the ball by the racket?
__________N*s (direction: +x or -x)
b) What work does the racket do on the ball?
7. High speed stroboscopic photographs show that the head of a 210 - g golf club is traveling at 41 m/s just before it strikes a 46-g golf ball at rest on a tee. After the collision, the club head travels (in the same direction) at 30 m/s. Find the speed of the golf ball just after impact
8. A rifle with a weight of 40 N fires a 6.0-g bullet with a speed of 230 m/s
a) Find the recoil speed of the rifle
b) If a 750-N man holds the rifle firmly with his shoulder, find the recoil of the man and rifle.
9. A 78-kg fisherman in a 119-kg boat throws a package of mass m = 15 kg horizontally toward the right with a speed of vi = 4.3 m/s as in the figure below. Neglecting water resistance, and assuming the boat is at rest before the package is thrown, find the velocity of the boat after the package is thrown.
Direction (toward the right or toward the left)
10. A 70.0-kg person throws a 0.0470-kg snowball forward with a ground speed of 29.0 m/s. A second person with a mass of 59.0 kg, catches the snowball. Both people are on skates. The first person is initially moving forward with a speed of 2.00 m/s, and the second person is initially at rest. What are the velocities of the two peopel after the snowball is exchanged?
Disregard the friction between the skates and the ice.
Thrower _______ m/s
Catcher _______ m/s
11. A railraod car of mass 3.5 X 104 kg moving at 4.00 m/s collides and couples with two coupled railroad cars, each of the same mass as the single car and moving in the same direction at 1.2 m/s
a). What is the speed of the three coupled cars after the collision?
b) How much kinetic energy is lost in the collision?
12. In a Broadway performance, an 71.6-kg actor swings from a 3.80-m-long cable that is horizontal when he starts. At the bottom of his arc, he picks up his 55.0 kg costar in an inelastic collision. What maximum height do they reach after their upward swing?
13. Two shuffleboard disks of equal mass, one orange and the other green, are involved in a perfectly elastic glancing collision. The green disk is initially at rest and is stuck by the orange disk moving initially to the right at
of = _______ m/s
gf = _______ m/s
14. A 0.032-kg bullet is fired vertically at 215 m/s into a 0.15-kg baseball that is initially at rest. How high does the combined bullet and baseball rise after teh collision, assuming the bullet embeds itself in the ball?
15. A 26.0 g object moving to the right at 18.0 cm/s overtakes and collides elastically with a 10.0-g object moving in the same direction at 15.0 cm/s. Find the velocity of each object after the collision.
26.0 g object ________ cm/s
10.0 g object ________ cm/s
16. A billiard ball rolling across a table at 1.55 m/s makes a head on elastic collision with an identical ball. Find the speed of each ball after the collision when each of the following occurs.
a) The second ball is initially at rest.
frist ball _________m/s
second ball ________m/s
b) The second ball is moving toward the first at speed of 1.05 m/s
first ball ___________m/s
second ball ___________m/s
c) The second ball is moving away from the first at a speed of 1.10 m/s
first ball _________ m/s
second ball _________ m/s